Jetfighter crashes in Yemen, killing pilot
Sanaa: A Yemeni jetfighter crashed immediately after takeoff during a training mission Monday, killing its pilot, Yemen`s Defence Ministry said.
The ministry`s online newspaper said the Russian-made MiG-21 aircraft crashed inside al-Annad air base in the southern province of Lahj due to technical failure.
It said the jet`s pilot, Col Atiq al-Akhali, was killed and a trainee was injured.
Al-Annad is the biggest air base in the country. It hosts a group of US military advisers helping Yemeni troops fighting the local branch of al Qaeda, considered by the US to be the terror network`s most dangerous offshoot.
Yemen`s air force has carried out strikes during the military`s offensive against al Qaeda.
Meanwhile, a Yemeni court sentenced six al Qaeda militants to up to five years in prison over planning attacks and targeting security forces, foreign interests and state institutions. Heavy security forces were deployed to the court building in Sanaa.
A total number of 12 defendants were tried on charges of "forming armed groups to carry out criminal acts" and "planning attacks on military and government buildings and private and public property, including foreigners and the US Embassy and other diplomatic missions in Yemen," between 2009 and 2011.
Six were acquitted while six others received sentences varying between one to five years in prison.
The trial comes at a time Yemeni President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi has ordered trials for tens of al Qaeda suspects, who are among hundreds of suspected extremist militants that have been held without charges for over a year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends