Kate to give birth at hospital near parental home: Report
London: In a break from royal tradition, Kate Middleton plans to give birth to the future monarch of Britain near her family home, at a hospital where she and her sister Pippa were born.
Kate, now known as Catherine the Duchess of Cambridge, is seriously considering giving birth to the future monarch at a hospital near parents Michael and Carole Middleton`s house in the home counties, The Telegraph reported.
It had been widely expected that the third-in-line to the throne would be born in the Lindo Wing of St Mary`s Hospital in Paddington, where Diana, Princess of Wales gave birth to Kate`s husband William, the Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry.
"Kate`s family want the baby to be born at the Royal Berkshire Hospital," claims one of the couple`s friends.
"Their thinking is that she will be based at her parents` house during the later stages of her pregnancy and they do not want her to have to travel miles to Paddington when she goes into labour," the friend of the couple said.
The Duchess and her sister, Pippa, were born at the hospital in Reading, whose first patron was Queen Victoria. A 3 million pound midwife-led unit opened there last year.
Kate`s labour will be overseen by Alan Farthing, the Queen`s surgeon-gynaecologist. Farthing will be assisted by his predecessor, Marcus Setchell.
Farthing has a private Harley Street practice and works as a consultant at two teaching hospitals in London, Queen Charlotte`s in Hammersmith and St Mary`s.
However, he and Setchell will go wherever the couple choose.
The Duchess` experience of hospitals recommended by the royal family has not been entirely happy.
While she was being treated for severe morning sickness at the private King Edward VII Hospital, in Marylebone, members of staff, including an Indian-origin nurse, fell victim to prank radio callers from Australia.
Jacintha Saldanha, the Indian-origin nurse who put through the call from two radio presenters pretending to be the Queen and the Prince of Wales, killed herself days later.
However, friends insist that the tragedy is not a factor in the Duchess` plans.
Last weekend, it was reported that Kate intended to live at her parents` house in Bucklebury for at least the first six weeks after the delivery, which is due in July.
William and Kate`s London residence at Kensington Palace is not expected to be ready until at least September or October.
The Middletons have plenty of space to accommodate the couple.
A spokesman says an announcement about where the Duchess plans to give birth will be made "in due course".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues