close
This ad will auto close in 10 seconds

Kenya mall siege: Norwegian suspect named

One of the men suspected of carrying out an attack on a shopping centre in Kenya last month has been identified as a 23-year-old Norwegian citizen.



Zee Media Bureau

London: One of the men suspected of carrying out an attack on a shopping centre in Kenya last month has been identified as a 23-year-old Norwegian citizen.

According to a BBC investigation, the man has been identified as Hassan Abdi Dhuhulow, the Norwegian citizen of Somali origin. At least 67 people died in the attack in Nairobi. Al Qaeda-linked group al-Shabab claimed responsibility for the attack.

Dhuhulow is suspected of aiding in planning and carrying out the audacious attack, which began on September 21 and lasted four days.

A relative of Dhuhulow told BBC Newsnight that the Norwegian left the town of Larvik for Somalia in 2009.

The number of militants involved in the attack is unclear. According to police`s initial estimate, there were 10-15 attackers inside the complex. However, the CCTV footage released so far by the Kenyan authorities shows just four men.

Hassan Abdi Dhuhulow is believed to be one of those four, the BBC`s Newsnight programme has learned from sources in Kenya and Norway.

Dhuhulow was born in Somalia, but he and his family moved to Norway as refugees in 1999.

From Zee News

0 Comment - Join the Discussions

trending

photo gallery

video


WION FEATURES

K8 Plus: Lenovo's new phone available @ Rs 10,999

Heavy security outside Dera Sacha Sauda headquarters in Sirsa as search operation begins

WATCH Exclusive: After Doklam standoff, India begins road construction near LAC

Hurricane Irma, rampaging through Caribbean, is most enduring super-storm on record

Three train derailments in 1 day, fourth accident narrowly-averted

China says Indian Army chief's views contrary to those expressed by Modi, Xi