Kosovo police arrest six terror suspects
Pristina: Six ethnic Albanians suspected of plotting a terrorist attack inspired by extreme Islamist ideology, including two believed to have fought alongside Syrian rebels, have been arrested in Kosovo, officials said on Tuesday.
A seventh suspect remains at large.
Two of the men are also suspected of attacking two American Mormon missionaries in the capital, Pristina, two days before their November 5 arrest, a senior police official involved with the investigation said.
Authorities have grown increasingly worried about the rise of extremism in a country with a strong presence of NATO peacekeepers, including hundreds of US troops.
Authorities had followed the cell for three months after intercepting a call allegedly plotting an attack with another person of Kosovo descent in an unnamed European country, said the police official, who is part of a team that deals with terrorist threats.
Four of the suspects were arrested in a park in Pristina by undercover police agents posing as weapons dealers, the police official said.
Another suspect was arrested in central Pristina and the sixth in the eastern town of Gnjilane. It was unclear whether a target had been identified and what the weapons were being bought for.
A sniper rifle, handguns and material for making an improvised explosive device were found in suspects` houses, according to the police official.
A justice official said the suspects had been watched by video surveillance, phone tapping, and email monitoring, but gave no further details because of the ongoing investigation. Both officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to discuss the matter.
Though the country of 2 million is overwhelmingly secular, ethnic Albanians from Kosovo and neighbouring Macedonia have been linked with terror plots in the United States, including a foiled bombing last year in Tampa, Florida, and a 2007 attack on military personnel at Fort Dix in New Jersey.
Around 150 ethnic Albanians are believed to have joined foreign fighters battling the forces of Syria`s President Bashar Assad and some 12 are believed to have been killed there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH