Kosovo police arrest six terror suspects
Pristina: Six ethnic Albanians suspected of plotting a terrorist attack inspired by extreme Islamist ideology, including two believed to have fought alongside Syrian rebels, have been arrested in Kosovo, officials said on Tuesday.
A seventh suspect remains at large.
Two of the men are also suspected of attacking two American Mormon missionaries in the capital, Pristina, two days before their November 5 arrest, a senior police official involved with the investigation said.
Authorities have grown increasingly worried about the rise of extremism in a country with a strong presence of NATO peacekeepers, including hundreds of US troops.
Authorities had followed the cell for three months after intercepting a call allegedly plotting an attack with another person of Kosovo descent in an unnamed European country, said the police official, who is part of a team that deals with terrorist threats.
Four of the suspects were arrested in a park in Pristina by undercover police agents posing as weapons dealers, the police official said.
Another suspect was arrested in central Pristina and the sixth in the eastern town of Gnjilane. It was unclear whether a target had been identified and what the weapons were being bought for.
A sniper rifle, handguns and material for making an improvised explosive device were found in suspects` houses, according to the police official.
A justice official said the suspects had been watched by video surveillance, phone tapping, and email monitoring, but gave no further details because of the ongoing investigation. Both officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to discuss the matter.
Though the country of 2 million is overwhelmingly secular, ethnic Albanians from Kosovo and neighbouring Macedonia have been linked with terror plots in the United States, including a foiled bombing last year in Tampa, Florida, and a 2007 attack on military personnel at Fort Dix in New Jersey.
Around 150 ethnic Albanians are believed to have joined foreign fighters battling the forces of Syria`s President Bashar Assad and some 12 are believed to have been killed there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks