Kurdish rebels call for uprising after Turkish air strike
Istanbul: Kurdish separatists in Turkey
on Friday called for an "uprising" after an air force raid killed
35 villagers near the Iraqi border in what the ruling party
admitted could have been a blunder.
"We urge the people of Kurdistan... to react after this
massacre and seek a settling of accounts through uprisings,"
Bahoz Erdal from the armed wing of the Kurdistan Workers`
Party (PKK), labelled a terrorist organisation by Ankara, said
in a statement.
The PKK uses the term "uprising" for sweeping civil
disobedience as well as clashes with the police.
Turkey`s military command said it carried out an air
strike on suspected PKK militants after a spy drone spotted a
group moving toward its sensitive southeastern border under
cover of darkness late Wednesday, in an area known to be used
Turkey`s ruling party yesterday said the strike late
Wednesday could have been a "blunder" that killed civilians
and not Kurdish separatists and police fired tear gas to
disperse stone-throwing youths in a pro-Kurdish demonstration
"According to initial reports, these people were
smugglers and not terrorists," said Huseyin Celik,
vice-president of the governing Justice and Development Party
"If it turns out to have been a mistake, a blunder, rest
assured that this will not be covered up," he said, adding
that it could have been an "operational accident" by the
The main pro-Kurdish Peace and Democracy Party (BDP) said
the planes had bombed villagers from Kurdish majority
southeastern Turkey who were smuggling sugar and fuel across
the border on mules and donkeys.
"It`s clearly a massacre of civilians, of whom the oldest
is 20," BDP leader Selahattin Demirtas said in a statement
that called on Turkey`s Kurdish population to respond "by
The PKK took up arms in Kurdish-majority southeastern
Turkey in 1984, sparking a conflict that has claimed about
45,000 lives. It is labelled a terrorist organisation by
Ankara and much of the international community.
The protest in Istanbul yesterday called by the BDP
drew 2,000 people in the city`s Taksim Square.
Afterwards, several hundred youths shouting pro-PKK
slogans threw stones at riot police, who responded with water
cannon and tear gas, making several arrests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015