Malaysia Airlines retires MH17 flight code
Kuala Lumpur: Malaysia Airlines said Sunday it would retire flight code MH17 as a "mark of respect" for the 298 people killed in a jet crash in violence-wracked eastern Ukraine.
The daily Amsterdam-Kuala Lumpur service will instead take on the code MH19 from July 25.
"In light of the recent incident, Malaysia Airlines` Amsterdam-Kuala Lumpur service, MH17 flight number will be retired out of respect for our crew and passengers," the national flag carrier said in a statement.
"There are no changes to the frequency of our services, and we will continue to operate daily services between Amsterdam and Kuala Lumpur," the airline added.
"Our thoughts and prayers remains with the families of our colleagues and passengers of MH17."
Flight MH17 from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur is believed to have been shot out of the sky by a surface-to-air missile, crashing in rebel-held eastern Ukraine Thursday with 298 people on board.
The flight code retirement is the second the airline has had to do in four months.
It retired flight codes MH370 and MH371 in the aftermath of the March 8 disappearance of Kuala-Lumpur-Beijing flight MH370 with 239 passengers and crew on board.
No trace of the MH370 plane has been found, a mystery that has severely damaged Malaysia`s image abroad and left furious relatives of passengers deeply anguished and demanding answers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video