Malaysian cop found guilty of custodial death
Kuala Lumpur: A Malaysian court on Monday found a constable guilty of two counts of causing hurt to a car thief suspect A Kugan, an ethnic Indian, who died in police custody.
Kugan, 22, was arrested on January 14, 2009, to help in investigations into a luxury car theft syndicate.
He died six days later, triggering uproar among the country`s minority ethnic Indian population of police brutality.
Sessions Court Judge Aslam Zainuddin sentenced constable V Navindran, also an ethnic Indian, to three years` jail from the date of sentencing for each count, with the sentences to be served concurrently.
"The defence failed to raise a reasonable doubt in this case," said Aslam.
The judge allowed a stay of execution pending appeal.
Navindran was accused of two alternative counts of causing hurt to Kugan at the interrogation room of the police station on Jan 16, 2009.
A court had acquitted Navindran of the charges but the High Court later overturned the acquittal and ordered him to enter his defence.
Navindran`s lawyer said his client was innocent and had been made a "scapegoat".
The lawyer said he would appeal against the verdict.
Ethnic Indians form about eight per cent of the country`s 28 million people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day