Maldives parliament convenes first time this year
Male: The Maldives parliament convened Monday for the first time this year amidst uproar by members of the Opposition Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP).
The Maldives President`s Office said President Mohamed Waheed delivered the Presidential Address to parliament, reported Xinhua.
"The world is watching us today. We will be judged for the way we conduct ourselves. I urge everyone to maintain calm. I will do everything to uphold the constitution and laws of my country. I will perform my duty to the best of my ability," Waheed said in his speech before he was interrupted by MDP members.
At least two MDP members were removed from parliament after they continued to obstruct the president from making his speech.
The parliament speaker was forced to adjourn the sitting several times as the protests continued and President Waheed was prevented from making his way to his seat in parliament.
Protests were staged outside parliament as well by MDP supporters and the police placed barricades to prevent the protestors from getting close to the parliament building.
The MDP led by former president Mohamed Nasheed had announced earlier that they will obstruct Waheed from making his speech.
Nasheed claims that he was removed from power last year by the current administration in a coup, an allegation the government denies.
Presidential elections are scheduled to be held in the Maldives in September and Nasheed has announced that he will contest the polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy