`Males can be rape victims too`
Washington: The Federal Bureau of Investigation is changing its long-standing definition of rape to include men and those who do not physically resist as victims.
The new definition will increase the number of people counted as rape victims in FBI statistics, but it will not change federal or state laws.
Earlier, the FBI defined rape as “the carnal knowledge of a female, forcibly and against her will”.
The new definition removes the reference to females and says rape is “the penetration, no matter how slight, of the vagina or anus with any body part or object” without the consent of the victim, The BBC reports.
Also specified is “oral penetration by a sex organ of another person” without consent.
US Vice President Joe Biden, who raised the issue last July at a Cabinet meeting, called the change a victory for those “whose suffering has gone unaccounted for over 80 years”.
“We can`t solve it unless we know the full extent of it,” Biden said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi