Mali army arrests two men with explosives near Gao
Gao (Mali): A Malian military spokesman says soldiers on Saturday arrested two men who tried to blow themselves up on the outskirts of Gao.
Modibo Traore said that the pair were wearing belts of explosives and were stopped at a checkpoint on a road leading into town at about 7 am (local time).
The arrests come just a day after another young man detonated an explosives belt in Gao, killing only himself.
The attacks have raised fears of a looming insurgency by the radical extremists who fled into the surrounding desert two weeks ago after a French-led military mission forced them to flee the cities of northern Mali.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet