Mandela hospitalized for 10th day in South Africa
Johannesburg: Anti-apartheid icon Nelson Mandela remains hospitalized for a tenth day in South Africa.
Government officials today said the 94-year-old Mandela underwent a successful surgery for gallstones on Saturday. Officials say Mandela has been hospitalised since Dec. 8 for tests and later medical treatment for a recurrent lung infection.
President Jacob Zuma and delegates at a convention for the African National Congress political party honoured Mandela yesterday in song. Mandela was a leader of the ANC and served as the nation`s first democratically elected president under the party`s banner.
Mandela is revered for being a leader of the struggle against racist white rule in South Africa. He served one five-year term as president before retiring from public life.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- Yuvraj Singh outsmarted by Zaheer Khan's rumoured girlfriend Sagarika Ghatge on troll attempt!