Margaret Thatcher undergoes tumour removal surgery
London: Margaret Thatcher, Britain`s only woman prime minister, is recovering from an operation to remove a tumour from her bladder, an official said.
The 87-year-old former prime minister had spent Christmas in hospital following the surgery, The Sun reported.
"She is going to convalesce privately," her spokesman was quoted as saying.
Tests will now be carried out to discover whether the tumour was aggressive or superficial.
Her 59-year-old daughter Carol has been visiting Thatcher in the undisclosed London hospital.
Thatcher - dubbed the "Iron Lady" - has only made a handful of public appearances over the past few years. She was too ill to join Queen Elizabeth for a lunch for former prime ministers during the queen`s diamond jubilee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers