Mauritian PM rejects electoral reforms suggested by UN
Port Louis: Mauritian Prime Minister Navin Ramgoolam has virtually rejected the electoral system recommended by the UN, and said "reforms must unite, not divide" the people.
In his New Year message to the country on national television, Ramgoolam said, "Electoral reform affects everyone, not only the politicians." It was a complex issue that deserved thorough discussions, he said, Xinhua reported.
Mauritius is required to make changes to its electoral system in accordance with the UN recommendations after some Mauritians complained to the UN Commission on Human Rights (UNCHR).
"This is a very complex topic that deserves a thorough discussion before we can agree on the type of reform that will better serve the interests of a modern society. Together, and with a good reform, we can write a new chapter in the history of our country."
Navin Ramgoolam previously said that after 46 years of the independence of the country, it is time to think in terms of people in Mauritius and not in terms of international community.
The resistance and alternative group protested to the UN on the country`s "best loser" system which provides a representation on an ethnic basis in the Mauritian Parliament. In a judgment released Aug 31, 2012, the UNHCR asked the Mauritian government to make changes to the system.
The prime minister also lauded the achievements of his government during the previous year. He listed the opening of the new terminal at the Plaisance Airport and several roads to decongest the country.
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- Grenade attack on police post in J&K's Anantnag, security tightened
- World Immunisation Week: Narendra Modi government proactive, Mission Indradhanush good initiative - Praises from Gavi CEO
- Kareena Kapoor Khan, Amrita Arora's boxing session will give you fitness goals! – See pictures
- Sourav Ganguly bats for Salman Khan, says actor will bring in visibility to Rio Olympics as Indian contingent's Goodwill Ambassador
- Economy may expand by 7.8% in 2017-18: UN report