Merkel hails Thatcher as `extraordinary leader`
Berlin: German Chancellor Angela Merkel hailed former British prime minister Margaret Thatcher, who died Monday, as an "extraordinary leader" who played a pivotal role in overcoming Europe`s Cold War division.
"She was an extraordinary leader in the global politics of her time," Merkel said in a statement. "I will never forget her part in surmounting the division of Europe and at the end of the Cold War."
Merkel, a fellow conservative who was often compared to Thatcher when she became chancellor in 2005, said Thatcher would not be remembered as a "female politician" but one who had blazed a trail for women in the halls of power.
"As she took the highest democratic offices as a woman before that was common, she set an example for many," Merkel said.
She said that Thatcher`s values and principles served as a beacon while Europe was still divided into opposing blocs.
"The liberty of the individual stood at the heart of her convictions -- Margaret Thatcher recognised the power of the freedom movements of Eastern Europe early on and lent them her support," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister