Moroccan-born exotic dancer set to testify in Berlusconi’s `Bunga Bunga` case
Melbourne: The Moroccan-born exotic dancer at the centre of a sex trial against Silvio Berlusconi is expected to testify for the first time in court on Monday.
Karima El-Mahroug - better known by her nickname as “Ruby the Heart Stealer” - had not appeared the first time she was called to testify and when called a second time her lawyer said she was in Mexico, the Herald Sun reported.
But now her lawyer, Paola Boccardihas said that “she will be there.”
Prosecutors have accused the defence of deliberately trying to increase the length of the trial to avoid a verdict before the general election in February.
The 76-year-old politician is accused of having sex for money with El-Mahroug on several occasions in 2010, when he was still a PM and she was just 17.
The age of consent in Italy is only 14, but sex with a prostitute who is under 18 years of age is a crime punishable by up to three years in prison.
Berlusconi has denied having sex with El-Mahroug, saying that he gave her money so that she could set up a beauty parlour and avoid having to prostitute herself.
El-Mahroug has also denied a liaison with Berlusconi but was recorded in a leaked telephone wiretap telling a friend that he had said to her: “Ruby I’ll give you anything you want, I’ll turn you into gold, just hide everything.”
El-Mahroug is a witness for the defence and is unlikely to give incriminating testimony against Berlusconi, but her comments are eagerly awaited and will help to determine when the trial will end.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?