Moshe Yaalon appointed defense minister of Israel
Jerusalem: Israel’s former military chief Moshe Yaalon was appointed defense minister by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Sunday.
Yaalon, widely known by his nickname "Bogie," has said the Iranian nuclear program is Israel`s top security concern. He also is known to hold hard-line views toward the Palestinians.
Yaalon was Israel`s military chief from 2002 to 2005, and served as vice premier in Israel`s outgoing government. In that position, he served in Netanyahu`s security Cabinet, which dealt with sensitive matters.
Yaalon will replace Defense Minister Ehud Barak, who is retiring.
Netanyahu said today that Yaalon has the experience to lead the country`s defense during a "decisive period for the security of Israel, as the region around us rages." The new government is to be sworn in Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’