Myanmar military targeting rebels
London: Military aircraft in Myanmar have been targeting rebel areas in the country`s northern Kachin state since the last week of December 2012, BBC reported.
Video footage shot by humanitarian group Free Burma Rangers shows attack helicopters firing on the ground and jets flying close to the trenches of the rebel Kachin Independence Army.
A government official told BBC the army had not informed them of any air attacks.
After a 17-year truce, fighting with the Kachin rebels resumed in 2011.
Though the presence of jets and attack helicopters was confirmed by witnesses, it was not clear how many casualties have been caused.
Many of the people who live in the conflict areas have already fled into camps, both in Kachin and across the border in China.
Asked to comment on the video, the director of the president`s office, Zaw Htay said the situation was complex, and that the military had told them they were only using planes to re-supply its troops.
"The aircraft being used are K8 training aircraft not fighter jets - that is the information I got from the military. I have no information on the use of helicopters. There is a very difficult situation in Kachin state," he was quoted as saying.
The Free Burma Rangers, who reportedly filmed the footage while in rebel trenches, describes itself as "a multi-ethnic humanitarian service movement". The group works to provide aid in Myanmar`s troubled border regions.
An estimated 75,000 people have been displaced by fighting in Kachin since 2011.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!