Myanmar military targeting rebels
London: Military aircraft in Myanmar have been targeting rebel areas in the country`s northern Kachin state since the last week of December 2012, BBC reported.
Video footage shot by humanitarian group Free Burma Rangers shows attack helicopters firing on the ground and jets flying close to the trenches of the rebel Kachin Independence Army.
A government official told BBC the army had not informed them of any air attacks.
After a 17-year truce, fighting with the Kachin rebels resumed in 2011.
Though the presence of jets and attack helicopters was confirmed by witnesses, it was not clear how many casualties have been caused.
Many of the people who live in the conflict areas have already fled into camps, both in Kachin and across the border in China.
Asked to comment on the video, the director of the president`s office, Zaw Htay said the situation was complex, and that the military had told them they were only using planes to re-supply its troops.
"The aircraft being used are K8 training aircraft not fighter jets - that is the information I got from the military. I have no information on the use of helicopters. There is a very difficult situation in Kachin state," he was quoted as saying.
The Free Burma Rangers, who reportedly filmed the footage while in rebel trenches, describes itself as "a multi-ethnic humanitarian service movement". The group works to provide aid in Myanmar`s troubled border regions.
An estimated 75,000 people have been displaced by fighting in Kachin since 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800