N Korea calls Japan ‘laughingstock of world’
Pyongyang: North Korea has slammed Japan for what it calls ‘a lack of respect’ over the death of the nation’s long-term ruler Kim Jong-il.
On Tuesday, North Korea fired the first verbal salvo at Japan, with a statement that criticised the Japanese government for holding a security meeting on news of Kim Jong-il’s death on December 19.
Pyongyang slammed Tokyo for forbidding North Korean sympathisers in Japan from travelling to the North to pay condolences, The Wall Street Journal reports.
It also criticised Japan for the pressure it has put on North Korea to return Japanese citizens who were abducted by the North over the years.
North Korea criticised Japanese lawmakers for speculating that the transition of leadership in Pyongyang might lead to a collapse of the authoritarian system.
It also called Japan “the laughingstock of the world” because of its frequent changes in government.
“Japan has topped the world list of replacing prime ministers, becoming the laughingstock of the world, and not a day passes without unstable domestic politics,” the statement said.
“Japan will never understand the social system. North’s dictatorial regime was the ‘most stable in the world’,” it added.
North Korea also slammed South Korea for “committed thrice-cursed crimes,” including not allowing people to visit the North to mourn Kim Jong-il.
According to the paper, the comments clearly show the regime now led by Kim Jong-il`s son Kim Jong-un appears to be returning to its traditional pattern of lashing out at the countries it has long portrayed to its citizens as enemies - South Korea, Japan and the US.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border