N Korea calls Japan ‘laughingstock of world’
Pyongyang: North Korea has slammed Japan for what it calls ‘a lack of respect’ over the death of the nation’s long-term ruler Kim Jong-il.
On Tuesday, North Korea fired the first verbal salvo at Japan, with a statement that criticised the Japanese government for holding a security meeting on news of Kim Jong-il’s death on December 19.
Pyongyang slammed Tokyo for forbidding North Korean sympathisers in Japan from travelling to the North to pay condolences, The Wall Street Journal reports.
It also criticised Japan for the pressure it has put on North Korea to return Japanese citizens who were abducted by the North over the years.
North Korea criticised Japanese lawmakers for speculating that the transition of leadership in Pyongyang might lead to a collapse of the authoritarian system.
It also called Japan “the laughingstock of the world” because of its frequent changes in government.
“Japan has topped the world list of replacing prime ministers, becoming the laughingstock of the world, and not a day passes without unstable domestic politics,” the statement said.
“Japan will never understand the social system. North’s dictatorial regime was the ‘most stable in the world’,” it added.
North Korea also slammed South Korea for “committed thrice-cursed crimes,” including not allowing people to visit the North to mourn Kim Jong-il.
According to the paper, the comments clearly show the regime now led by Kim Jong-il`s son Kim Jong-un appears to be returning to its traditional pattern of lashing out at the countries it has long portrayed to its citizens as enemies - South Korea, Japan and the US.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery