Nigeria: 2 killed, 26 held over murder of 2 Indians
Abuja: Two suspected members of the Islamic sect Boko Haram were killed and 26 others arrested by the Nigerian military in the northern Maiduguri city for their alleged involvement in the killing of two Indians.
Lt Col Sagir Musa, a spokesman of the Joint Task Force in the city, said that those killed and arrested in a special operation on Thursday and yesterday were suspected of being responsible for the killings and injury as well as other attacks within the vicinity.
Two Indians -- Shanker Saha, 35, and Bokul Chander Mondal, 35 -- were knifed and stabbed to death on Wednesday when they were attacked in a Gum Arabic factory in the city. Another Indian, Biresh Yadav, 43, was injured in the attack.
The victims hailed from West Bengal and were working with M/s Adebar Trades and Industries Ltd in Maiduguri, Borno State.
The injured Indian is undergoing treatment at the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital (UMTH) following cuts in his neck.
"Following intelligence report available to the military, special operation was conducted on Thursday and Friday which led to the arrest of 26 terrorists and the killings of two suspected members of Boko Haram at Biafra Bula-bulin, Kasuwan Shanu and GRA in Maiduguri metropolis," Lt Col Musa said.
"Some of the suspects killed and arrested were responsible for the killings of the two Indians, a cleric and several other killings in Maiduguri in the past," Musa said, adding that some weapons were recovered from the suspects.
Indian High Commissioner to Nigeria Mahesh Sachdev had demanded prompt investigation into the attack on Indian nationals.
Boko Haram has been waging a sustained war in Nigeria`s northern cities in their bid to install an Islamic emirate in the country.
In January, the sect attacked the city of Kano killing more than 180 persons, including an Indian national identified as Kevalkumar Kalidas Rajput and his two Nepalese colleagues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends