Nigeria: Boko Haram frees 40 inmates in prison break
Abuja: Nigeria`s deadly Islamic sect Boko Haram on Monday announced the "martyrdom" of its top leader accused of masterminding a Christmas day church suicide attack that killed 44 people, even as the group launched a daring jailbreak and freed 40 inmates.
During prison attack, Boko Haram members threw explosives at the prison gates and shot at prison guards before making their way into the jail in Yobe State.
State police Commissioner Patrick Egbuniwe confirmed that 40 inmates were freed during the jail break.
"The sect members entered the prison through the emir`s palace and freed 40 persons. They were confronted by the military but they carried away their members shot by the military, " he said.
Earlier the radical sect confirmed the death of Habibu Bama, who was accused of masterminding a Christmas day church suicide attack, by the country`s security forces.
"We are happy for Habibu Bama`s martyrdom," Boko Haram said of its member who was a former soldier in a brief statement.
Nigeria`s secret police, State Security Service (SSS), engaged the sect in a gun battle within the city last week after which it was announced that they had captured Bama.
Bama was declared wanted after the Christmas day bombing at St Theresa`s Catholic Church in Madalla near the country`s capital, Abuja, killed 44 people.
He was also accused of being involved last June`s attack of police headquarters and August bombing of United Nations headquarters in Abuja.
Boko Haram says its plan is to install Islamic rule in the country of 150 million people divided equally among Christians and Muslims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj