Nigeria declares national emergency over Ebola
Nigeria`s president has declared the containment of the Ebola virus in Africa`s most populous nation a national emergency, his office has said in a statement, after the health ministry announced two more confirmed cases.
The relevant agencies must ensure that all possible steps are taken "to effectively contain the threat of the Ebola virus in line with international protocols and best practices," President Goodluck Jonathan said in the statement released by his office.
Nigeria`s Health Minister Onyebuchi Chukwu said today the total confirmed cases have risen to 9, including a nurse and the Liberian-American man who died in Lagos. All the confirmed cases had primary contact with Patrick Sawyer, mostly at the hospital before he died, the ministry said.
Sawyer flew into Lagos last month, collapsed at the airport and died of the disease at a hospital in Lagos five days later.
Jonathan also approved the release of 1.9 billion naira (USD 11.7 million) to contain the disease through an intervention plan. The plan includes establishing additional isolation centers, screening at borders and deploying more personnel, his spokesman said.
He also asked schools to consider extending the current school holiday until there is a national reassessment of the level of threat Ebola poses in Nigeria.
The president asked the public "to desist from spreading false information about Ebola which can lead to mass hysteria, panic and misdirection, including unverified suggestions about the prevention, treatment, cure and spread of the virus," the president`s spokesman Reuben Abati said.
Health Minister Chukwu said yesterday the rumors that are circulating about prevention and treatment of Ebola are counterproductive, and that some people may be taking advantage of the situation to profit from it.
He said such rumors include drinking or bathing in salt water, waking up around dawn as well as using specials soaps. Measures will be enacted to block text messages touting these claims if they continue, he said.
He said 139 people are now under surveillance after being in contact with currently infected people. Most of them are cooperating, but there are a few cases where people are not, he said.
"Some people, against our advice have even left Lagos, primary contacts, to go to other cities," he said.
The president directed the federal ministry of health to collaborate with state health ministries, the National Center for Disease Control, and the National Emergency Management Agency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org