Nigeria gunmen free Dutch hostages: Activist
The Hague: Niger Delta gunmen have released three Dutch nationals who were abducted earlier this week, a Nigerian activist who had accompanied the trio but was earlier released has said.
Amsterdam-based environmental activist Sunny Ofehe and the three Dutch nationals, two men and a woman, were seized Sunday after armed men in a dinghy stormed their boat.
The group, which included another Netherlands-based Nigerian, were blindfolded and eventually taken to an unknown location where the two Nigerians were abandoned.
"I just want to inform everyone that they are free, and that they are safe and in good health," Ofehe told Dutch broadcaster NOS TV yesterday.
Scores of foreigners have been abducted in the southern Niger Delta region, home to Africa`s largest oil industry, with many released on payment of a ransom.
Employees of foreign oil companies are required to have an armed escort when travelling in the Delta, but international journalists, aid workers and others typically avoid taking a security detail.
Dutch printing company Gerrits & Leffers had confirmed that two of its employees were among those abducted and that the pair were in Nigeria to help Niger Delta peace activists publish a magazine.
The third Dutch national was a documentary filmmaker, NOS TV reported, and the group was en route to visit a hospital financed by oil company Chevron when the kidnapping took place.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant