Nigerian Navy arrests 10 Indians for alleged oil theft
Abuja: Nigerian Navy has arrested ten Indians and two Ghanaians for alleged oil theft after it intercepted a vessel near the oil rich southern Rivers state.
The arrested people have been handed over to the country`s anti-corruption police - the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) - for investigation and prosecution for oil theft.
The Flag Officer commanding Nigeria`s Central Naval Command, Rear Admiral Johnson Olutoyin, said the suspects were arrested near Port Harcourt, the capital of oil rich southern Rivers state.
"The suspects were arrested on a vessel MT Ashkay which was intercepted by a naval ship NNS Predator off Sangana River with cargo suspected to be stolen crude oil," Olutoyin said.
"The product on board MT Ashkay is suspected to be stolen crude of about 157,822 litres. They didn`t have papers to justify the cargo," he said adding the tanker does not have the Nigerian Port Authority`s Bunkering Permit, nor the Joint Task Force, Operation Pulo Shield certificate of registration.
Speaking to PTI, on the sidelines of an African Union summit holding in Addis Ababa in Ethiopia, Nigeria`s Foreign Minister Olugbenga Ashiru said he is appealing to foreign countries to enlighten their citizens on the dangers of illegal oil bunkering in Nigeria.
"Most of the ships arrested for crude oil bunkering in the past belonged to foreigners. If there is no willing foreign buyer, there won`t be a seller," Ashiru said adding that any foreigner caught for bunkering would automatically face the Nigerian court process.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!