Nigerian police probe stampede deaths
Abuja (Nigeria): The Nigerian police have commenced investigation into the deaths of at least 30 people at a prayer ground early Saturday in Uke in the country`s southeastern Anambra state.
Unconfirmed reports said that at least 30 worshippers were trampled to death at the Holy Ghost Adoration Ground in Uke, Idemili in North Local Council Area of Anambra, Xinhua reported.
Police spokesman Emeka Chukwuemeka said the incident occurred at the prayer ground in the early hours of Saturday.
Chukwuemeka said two deputy inspectors-general of police, Kachy Ugorji and Philemon Leha, have visited the scene of the incident.
"The number of deaths cannot be ascertained now until we conclude investigations because some persons who fainted were later resuscitated," he said.
State Governor Peter Obi and Senator Chris Ngige were among the early callers to the place to commiserate with the victims.
Meanwhile, Obi has promised to set up a panel of inquiry to ascertain the immediate and remote causes of the incident.
In a statement from his Special Adviser on Media, Valentine Obieyem, the governor of Anambra, expressed shock over the incident. He also promised to take care of the medical bills of the victims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway