No 2 general in mission to aid Mali found dead
Bamako: The UN in Mali says the No. 2 general in command of the current international support mission there has been found dead in his hotel room.
A statement released yesterday said that Gen. Yaya Seyni Garba likely died from a heart attack.
Damian Cardon, a communications adviser for MINUSMA, said that the body of the army general from neighboring Niger was found yesterday.
Niger is one of the West African countries contributing forces to the French-led mission in northern Mali.
France launched its military operation in January in an effort to oust al-Qaida-linked militants from power in northern Mali.
While the jihadists have fled the major towns, they continue to launch suicide bombings and other attacks in a show of force.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016