No genuine gender equality in India, claims Chinese daily
Beijing: A state-run Chinese newspaper sees the case of the gang-rape of the 23-year-old girl, who died in Singapore, as a demonstration of the inability of Indian democratic system to solve problems and "lack of genuine equality" in the nation.
"The abuse of women in India is shocking," Global Times newspaper said in a commentary, citing "572 rapes were recorded in New Delhi in 2011, and rape cases increased seven times in the past 40 years."
This is just the "tip of the iceberg", the paper said in a commentary titled `Indian rape case shows lack of genuine equality`.
"Six decades ago, China and India maintained a similar development level, but there has been a widening gap after China explored reform and opening-up. Analysts hold that India is about a decade behind China in economic development and three decades behind in social development," the paper said.
"However, as the world`s biggest democratic country, India is seen in the West as having great potential due to its superior system. But an inefficient and unequal democracy is unlikely to be able to mobilise this potential," it said.
The paper said the Indian government is criticised for having reacted slowly and India`s law enforcement system "is considered sloppy".
"Rape cases in India have a conviction rate of as low as 26 per cent even when they reach court. Moreover, the traditional social culture that devalues women should be condemned," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part II
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part III
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part IV
- Exclusive: Home Minister Rajnath Singh in conversation with Sudhir Chaudhary
- Red Bull apologise to Daniel Ricciardo for pit-stop bungle at Monaco
- Have you ever encountered death? These people did and were lucky to survive it – Watch
- Badaun re-run? Teenage girl murdered after gang-rape, body hanged from tree in UP
- Teen sensation Marcus Rashford signs bumper long-term contract at Manchester United: Reports
- Mexican soccer star Alan Pulido kidnapped in border state