No genuine gender equality in India, claims Chinese daily
Beijing: A state-run Chinese newspaper sees the case of the gang-rape of the 23-year-old girl, who died in Singapore, as a demonstration of the inability of Indian democratic system to solve problems and "lack of genuine equality" in the nation.
"The abuse of women in India is shocking," Global Times newspaper said in a commentary, citing "572 rapes were recorded in New Delhi in 2011, and rape cases increased seven times in the past 40 years."
This is just the "tip of the iceberg", the paper said in a commentary titled `Indian rape case shows lack of genuine equality`.
"Six decades ago, China and India maintained a similar development level, but there has been a widening gap after China explored reform and opening-up. Analysts hold that India is about a decade behind China in economic development and three decades behind in social development," the paper said.
"However, as the world`s biggest democratic country, India is seen in the West as having great potential due to its superior system. But an inefficient and unequal democracy is unlikely to be able to mobilise this potential," it said.
The paper said the Indian government is criticised for having reacted slowly and India`s law enforcement system "is considered sloppy".
"Rape cases in India have a conviction rate of as low as 26 per cent even when they reach court. Moreover, the traditional social culture that devalues women should be condemned," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31