`No plans to set up consulate in Gilgit Baltistan`
Beijing: China on Friday said it has no plans to open a consulate in the Gilgit Baltistan region of Pakistan Occupied Kashmir.
The Chinese foreign Ministry rejected reports which said Beijing was planning to expand its diplomatic mission in the region.
"Recent reports are not true", Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Liu Weimin told PTI when asked to comment on a media report which said that China had "officially informed" Pakistan through Nur Bekri, the chairman of Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region about its plan to open a consulate.
The report had said a Chinese diplomatic presence in Gilgit Baltistan would assist China in identifying Islamic militants intending to infiltrate Xinjiang from Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon wanted to meet his daughter before being hanged
- It's a canard that Kalam was reluctant to appoint Sonia Gandhi as PM: Manmohan Singh