North Korean rocket exploded mid-air: South Korea
Seoul: North Korea`s rocket exploded mid-air two minute and 15 seconds after blast-off and its debris splashed down in the Yellow Sea off South Korea, Seoul`s Defence Ministry said on Friday.
The rocket, which lifted off at 2238 GMT from Tongchang-ri in the northwestern county of Cholsan, exploded several tens of kilometres south of the launch pad, it said.
"We believe the missile splintered into two parts, probably due to a blast," ministry spokesman Kim Min-Seok told reporters.
"The test is deemed to have failed," he said.
The rocket apparently exploded when it reached an altitude of 70.5 kilometres above the sea and was travelling at 5.6 times the speed of sound.
After the explosion, the two chunks of debris continued flying up southward, reaching as high as 151.4 km and passing over South Korea`s Baengnyeong island near the sea border.
One of the two chunks further disintegrated into some 10 pieces at 22:47:42 GMT and fell over a wide area in the sea off the South`s Taean peninsula.
The other chunk flew further south before breaking up into three pieces and landed in the sea off the southwestern port of Kunsan, the ministry said.
South Korea`s Navy launched a search to salvage the debris in the Yellow Sea, Kim said, adding it would take "quite a lot of time" to find it, Yonhap news agency reported.
Yonhap said more than a dozen South Korean Navy ships, many of them equipped with sonar and backed by divers, were combing the area.
"We believe some large chunks are lying on the sea bed," the spokesman said.
The depth of the sea is between 70 and 100 metres making it feasible to retrieve large chunks of debris. (AFP)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!