Norwegian UN worker kidnapped in Yemen
Sana’a: A Norwegian man who was working for the United Nations was kidnapped by armed tribesmen in Yemen`s capital Sana’a on Sunday, officials said.
Norwegian Foreign Ministry spokesman Ford Overland Andersen said the ministry was informed the 34-year-old Norwegian man was abducted early Sunday, but would not give more details.
According to a Yemeni security official, the UN worker was kidnapped in the capital Sana’a by armed tribesmen who transferred him to central Marib province, 110 miles (170 kilometres) east of the capital.
The official said the UN worker was taken hostage by the Obeyid Marib tribe. They were demanding the release of a tribesman who was arrested on charges of killing four soldiers assigned to guarding oil tankers.
Tribal leaders with close ties to the Obeyid Marib tribe said the UN worker was in good health and that his captors were in contact with the UN office in Yemen.
Also on Sunday, a Yemeni military official said al Qaeda militants executed two soldiers who had been abducted two months ago while fighting al Qaeda militants west of Zinjibar, the provincial capital of Abyan province.
The official said the bodies of the soldiers were found in the country`s south.
Al Qaeda`s dangerous Yemen branch has been taking advantage of nearly a year of internal turmoil over demands that President Ali Abdullah Saleh step down to take control of areas in Yemen`s south.
For the past two days, around 200 al Qaeda militants have been occupying an 500-year-old mosque and school in the central province of Bayda.
On Friday, the militants overran the building, which has not been in use for years. The site was a tourist attraction in the town of Radda.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened