NSA spying: Is Angela Merkel a terrorist? Glenn Greenwald asks US
Zee Media Bureau
Washington: Rubbishing as "deceit" the United States` claim that the main motive of the NSA surveillance was counter-terrorism, the journalist who exposed the leaks made by Edward Snowden, said that American spying was "economic espionage" and done in order to seek "political power".
Glenn Greenwald, who recently quit The Guardian to join eBay founder Pierre Omidyar for a new online venture blasted the Americans` oft-repeated stance in favour of NSA spying saying that the surveillance was directed not against terrorists but majorly at "innocent peoples around the world".
Speaking to the CNN`s Christine Amanpour, Greenwald said, “This is clearly about political power and economic espionage, and the claim that this is all about terrorism is seen around the world as what it is, which is pure deceit.”
Trashing the US claims that NSA surveillance was aimed at checking terror, Greenwald asked, "Is Angela Merkel a terrorist? Are sixty or seventy million Spanish or French citizens terrorists? Are there terrorists at Petrobras?”
Greenwald`s revelations have brought US under fire from a set of European allies (France, Germany and Spain) and Mexico and Brazil, who have demanded explanations from America over the spying claims.
Glenn Greenwald`s comments come as a strong retort to the US House Intelligence chief Mike Rogers, who recently said that the Europeans must be thankful to the National Security Agency for the surveillance as it kept them safe.
Presenting a strong defence of the NSA in face of the increasing global outrage, the Republican from Michigan went on to say, "If the French citizens knew exactly what that was about, they would be applauding and popping champagne corks. It`s a good thing".
Holding the media reports in the French newspaper le Monde and German magazine Der Speigel as “smash and grab”, Rogers said that the whole notion of spying was disingenuous and the practice was instead “legitimate protection of nation-state interest”.
"This was about a counterterrorism program that had nothing to do with French citizens," Rogers had said.
Trashing such claims, Greenwald said, "What we revealed is that the spying system is largely devoted not to terrorists but is directed at innocent people around the world.”
“It’s something that the world didn’t know, and now they do know, and that’s the reason why US officials are so angry,” he added.
“Not because it damaged national security but because it damages their reputation and credibility around the world.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27