Nuclear Iran represents threat to world: Panetta
Washington: US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta has warned that a nuclear-capable Iran represents a threat to the United States and the world.
"We see the threats coming from Iran and a nuclear- capable Iran represents a threat to us and to the world," Panetta told reporters at a Pentagon news conference when asked about the threats to the US this year.
"The weapons of mass destruction and proliferation of weapons of mass destruction are a concern. North Korea is a concern because they too are developing a nuclear capability," he said.
"Add to that the turmoil in the Middle East that we have to confront. Add to that the whole cyber threat and the potential for cyber warfare. You can see the vast array of threats that we have to confront with the force that we`ve designed here. So it`s all of those that are my concern for the future," Panetta said.
Western powers, including the US, say Iran`s nuclear programme is aimed at weapons development, a charge Tehran denies.
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad on Thursday said his country is willing to revive talks on its nuclear programme and accused Western countries of dodging discussions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant