Nuclear Iran represents threat to world: Panetta
Washington: US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta has warned that a nuclear-capable Iran represents a threat to the United States and the world.
"We see the threats coming from Iran and a nuclear- capable Iran represents a threat to us and to the world," Panetta told reporters at a Pentagon news conference when asked about the threats to the US this year.
"The weapons of mass destruction and proliferation of weapons of mass destruction are a concern. North Korea is a concern because they too are developing a nuclear capability," he said.
"Add to that the turmoil in the Middle East that we have to confront. Add to that the whole cyber threat and the potential for cyber warfare. You can see the vast array of threats that we have to confront with the force that we`ve designed here. So it`s all of those that are my concern for the future," Panetta said.
Western powers, including the US, say Iran`s nuclear programme is aimed at weapons development, a charge Tehran denies.
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad on Thursday said his country is willing to revive talks on its nuclear programme and accused Western countries of dodging discussions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video