Over 80 people killed in Congo clashes: UN
The United Nations says more than 80 people have died in clashes between an armed group and the military in eastern Congo.
Goma (Congo): The United Nations says more than 80 people have died in clashes between an armed group and the military in eastern Congo.
The Congolese Red Cross has buried 61 bodies, and 20 other deaths were registered at local health centres following days of intense fighting between the militia and the Army in the locality of Kitchanga.
In a statement detailing the figures, the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs noted on Tuesday that more bodies are still being recovered from collapsed buildings.
The APCLS, a local militia, and the Congolese military began fighting last week after APCLS fighters attacked a refugee camp in the area.
Colonel Olivier Hamuli, a spokesman for the Congolese military, alleged that the militia attacked the refugees because they are from the Tutsi ethnic group.