Oz couple sentenced for racially abusing Sikh taxi driver
Melbourne: A couple has been sentenced by an Australian court to nine months in jail for a racially motivated attack in which a Sikh taxi driver`s turban was ripped off.
Angeline Kim Sollitt, 44, and Michael John Arbouin, 40, were handed down the nine-month prison-term for the "unprovoked" and "malicious" attack on taxi driver Jagroop Singh, `NTNews` reported.
"The turban is the crowning glory of the Sikhs. For Sikhs, the head and the turban are sacred, they must not be touched or insulted in any way," Judge Stephen Southwood said.
The report said that Sollitt began verbally abusing Singh when he picked her up with four others at the Dinah Beach Yacht Club last October.
"You are in Australia, mate, this is not your country. If you want to live in Australia, take this off," Sollitt had told Singh, referring to his turban.
He kept on driving but did later pull over when Sollitt got out and yelled "grab his turban, rip it off", before she ran to Singh and tried to remove it, the report said.
She pulled it off, leaving Singh dishevelled.
He attempted to radio in for help before Arbouin threw him to the ground. Sollitt then punched him in the face.
Arbouin then said, "You see what happens with your turban? Now I`m going to rip your hair off".
The police arrived soon after to take control of the situation.
Commenting on the incident, Singh said, "The turban is a symbol of faith. I only care that these people insulted my religion".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal