Philippines seeks US support over disputes with China
Manila: The Philippines is trying to win US support for its move to bring territorial disputes with China to international arbitration, China`s state-run Xinhua news agency said Tuesday.
A US congressional delegation headed by Ed Royce, chairman of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs, was briefed on the arbitration issue by Philippines` Foreign Secretary Albert del Rosario, the Department of Foreign Affairs said.
The US lawmakers were told that Manila needed to go on a legal track because its efforts at diplomacy and moves to settle it through the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) did not yield any result, according to Philippine Ambassador to Washington Jose Cuisia.
The five-member US delegation expressed their support to Manila`s efforts "to resolve the situation in a peaceful manner and in accordance to the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea", an official said.
US Congressman Royce said: "We always believe that it`s in everyone`s interest to resolve these issues through dialogue. We want to calm the tensions, we want this approached from the standpoint of diplomacy."
The Philippines government Jan 22 took the disputes with China on South China Sea to an Arbitral Tribunal under the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS).
In response, China urged the Philippines to avoid taking any action that could complicate the South China Sea issue.
"China has indisputable sovereignty over the Nansha islands and its adjacent waters. Our claim has abundant historical and legal grounds," Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei said.
"The key and root of the dispute between China and the Philippines is the Philippines` illegal occupation of some islets and reefs of the Nansha islands. China has always opposed the Philippines` illegal occupation," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow