Phone hoax nurse blamed Oz DJs for her death in suicide note
London: The Indian-origin nurse who committed suicide after the royal hoax phone call, left a note telling the two DJs behind the prank that they were responsible for her death, sources close to the family have revealed.
In one of three apparent suicide notes, Jacintha Saldanha wrote a short letter in which she expressed her deep anger at the Australian radio presenters and blamed them for her tragic death, the Daily Mail reported.
Saldanha, 46, was found hanged with a scarf at her accommodation at the King Edward VII’s Hospital in London, where the Duchess of Cambridge was being treated for severe morning sickness.
One of the DJs telephoned the hospital back within an hour of the call and spoke to Saldanha again, telling her they had played a prank which they were about to broadcast.
The revelation is believed to have left Saldanha, who had no experience of dealing with the media, feeling confused and agitated.
DJs Mel Greig and Michael Christian – who are believed to be at safe addresses following death threats – have apologised for the tragic repercussions of their prank. They pretended to be the Queen and Prince Charles seeking information about the Duchess’s condition.
In another, one-page letter, Saldanha criticised “aspects of the hospital staff,” and singled out two individuals for blame.
Although the hospital has repeatedly said no senior member of staff blamed Saldanha for falling victim to the prank and provided her with support, it is understood she may have been reprimanded by colleagues by email.
Another friend of the family has revealed that Saldanha may have tried to commit suicide more than once in the 72 hours between the prank and the moment her body was discovered by a colleague.
The nurse may have attempted to slash her wrists before she died as a result of hanging herself with a scarf.
“She may have tried to kill herself more than once – that’s why there are three notes,” the friend said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened