Pilot Prince William in Falklands for 6-week tour
London: Prince William arrived in the Falkland Islands on Thursday for a six-week deployment as a search and rescue helicopter pilot, British officials said, amid an escalating sovereignty dispute with Argentina over the territory.
The Ministry of Defence confirmed that William, known in the service as Flight Lt Wales, landed on the British outpost as part of a four-member Royal Air Force crew.
It said William will assume his duties "shortly" following a period of briefings and a familiarisation flight.
The prince`s visit has riled Argentina, which claims the islands 290 miles (460 kilometres) off its coast that it calls Las Malvinas. Britain`s Defence Ministry has insisted William`s deployment is routine, but Argentina`s Foreign Ministry likened the move to a conquistador`s arrival.
Britain and Argentina have been trading barbs in the run-up to the 30th anniversary of Argentina`s April 1982 invasion. The 10-week war that followed ended in British victory and killed 650 Argentine troops, more than 250 British personnel and three islanders.
Britain still maintains about 1,000 troops in the territory, whose 3,000 residents overwhelmingly wish to remain British.
Last month, Argentina persuaded Brazil, Uruguay and Chile to join a Mercosur trade group resolution to turn away any ship flying the Falklands` flag — which depicts a sheep and a ship along with the United Kingdom`s red, white and blue Union Jack.
That action prompted British Prime Minister David Cameron to accuse Argentine President Cristina Fernandez of having "colonialist" aims on an island population that wants to remain a British dependency. She accused Cameron of "mediocrity bordering on stupidity”.
Argentina`s Foreign Ministry last week accused Britain of militarising their sovereignty dispute by announcing that it is sending an advanced warship to the islands along with William "in the uniform of a conquistador”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...