Pilot Prince William in Falklands for 6-week tour
London: Prince William arrived in the Falkland Islands on Thursday for a six-week deployment as a search and rescue helicopter pilot, British officials said, amid an escalating sovereignty dispute with Argentina over the territory.
The Ministry of Defence confirmed that William, known in the service as Flight Lt Wales, landed on the British outpost as part of a four-member Royal Air Force crew.
It said William will assume his duties "shortly" following a period of briefings and a familiarisation flight.
The prince`s visit has riled Argentina, which claims the islands 290 miles (460 kilometres) off its coast that it calls Las Malvinas. Britain`s Defence Ministry has insisted William`s deployment is routine, but Argentina`s Foreign Ministry likened the move to a conquistador`s arrival.
Britain and Argentina have been trading barbs in the run-up to the 30th anniversary of Argentina`s April 1982 invasion. The 10-week war that followed ended in British victory and killed 650 Argentine troops, more than 250 British personnel and three islanders.
Britain still maintains about 1,000 troops in the territory, whose 3,000 residents overwhelmingly wish to remain British.
Last month, Argentina persuaded Brazil, Uruguay and Chile to join a Mercosur trade group resolution to turn away any ship flying the Falklands` flag — which depicts a sheep and a ship along with the United Kingdom`s red, white and blue Union Jack.
That action prompted British Prime Minister David Cameron to accuse Argentine President Cristina Fernandez of having "colonialist" aims on an island population that wants to remain a British dependency. She accused Cameron of "mediocrity bordering on stupidity”.
Argentina`s Foreign Ministry last week accused Britain of militarising their sovereignty dispute by announcing that it is sending an advanced warship to the islands along with William "in the uniform of a conquistador”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next