`Political dialogue only way to settle Syrian crisis`
Beijin: Chinese Foreign Minister Yang Jiechi said here Monday that political dialogue is the only correct way to settle the Syrian crisis.
The statement came as Yang met with UN-Arab League Joint Special Representative for Syria Lakhdar Brahimi on the sidelines of the 67th session of the UN General Assembly.
Yang commended and expressed support to Brahimi for his active mediation and efforts to seek political settlement of the Syrian issue.
He said that China has taken an objective and just position and a responsible approach on the Syrian issue and has played an active role in promoting negotiations.
"The problem in Syria is very complicated and sensitive. Political dialogue is the only correct way to tackle this issue," Yang said. "The priority now is to push all parities concerned in Syria to stop violence quickly and start inclusive political dialogue through diplomatic mediation."
The foreign minister noted that the Syrian political transition process should be led by the Syrian people rather than being imposed by outside forces.
"The mediation work at the next stage needs to adhere to principles, seek common ground, keep patience and push forward a just, fair and proper solution to the Syrian issue. This serves the best to the common interests of all relevant parties," he said.
Brahimi briefed Yang on the latest development of the Syrian issue and offered his gratitude to China for supporting his mission.
He made it clear that the situation in Syria is grave and the political settlement is at an important stage, urging the international community to help to alleviate the situation.
"I will continue to keep close contact with China and other relevant parties and work hard for promoting political solution to the Syrian crisis," Brahimi said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?