`Political dialogue only way to settle Syrian crisis`
Beijin: Chinese Foreign Minister Yang Jiechi said here Monday that political dialogue is the only correct way to settle the Syrian crisis.
The statement came as Yang met with UN-Arab League Joint Special Representative for Syria Lakhdar Brahimi on the sidelines of the 67th session of the UN General Assembly.
Yang commended and expressed support to Brahimi for his active mediation and efforts to seek political settlement of the Syrian issue.
He said that China has taken an objective and just position and a responsible approach on the Syrian issue and has played an active role in promoting negotiations.
"The problem in Syria is very complicated and sensitive. Political dialogue is the only correct way to tackle this issue," Yang said. "The priority now is to push all parities concerned in Syria to stop violence quickly and start inclusive political dialogue through diplomatic mediation."
The foreign minister noted that the Syrian political transition process should be led by the Syrian people rather than being imposed by outside forces.
"The mediation work at the next stage needs to adhere to principles, seek common ground, keep patience and push forward a just, fair and proper solution to the Syrian issue. This serves the best to the common interests of all relevant parties," he said.
Brahimi briefed Yang on the latest development of the Syrian issue and offered his gratitude to China for supporting his mission.
He made it clear that the situation in Syria is grave and the political settlement is at an important stage, urging the international community to help to alleviate the situation.
"I will continue to keep close contact with China and other relevant parties and work hard for promoting political solution to the Syrian crisis," Brahimi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof