Pope ditches bullet-proof car for Brazil trip
Vatican City: Pope Francis will ditch the bullet-proof "popemobile" used by his predecessors on his visit to Brazil this month and travel in an open-top jeep, the Vatican said on Wednesday.
Vatican spokesman Federico Lombardi also dismissed concerns ahead of the July 22-28 trip about the demonstrations that have recently been rocking Brazil.
"We are going to Brazil with confidence in the authorities` ability to manage the situation," he said at a briefing on the upcoming visit -- the pope`s first foreign trip since being elected in March.
"We know the demonstrations are not at all aimed at the pope or the Church," Lombardi said.
More than a million young people from 170 countries are expected for World Youth Day in Rio de Janeiro.
Brazil was shaken by a series of demonstrations in June, mainly over the cost of public transport, spending on 2014 World Cup and corruption.
"We are not currently expecting any inconveniences for World Youth Day. Everyone will understand the pope`s message is a message of solidarity," Lombardi said.
He also pointed out that the bullet-proof "popemobile" of years past will be left in the Vatican and Francis will instead use one of two open-top jeeps -- one white, one green -- that have already been shipped out to Rio.
"This is the pope`s choice, in continuity with what he is doing here. He feels better when there is contact" with the crowd, Lombardi said.
The spokesman also gave further details about the pope`s programme including a helicopter trip to the Marian sanctuary of Aparecida and his visit to the Varginha favela in Rio where he will visit a family.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!