Pope ditches bullet-proof car for Brazil trip
Vatican City: Pope Francis will ditch the bullet-proof "popemobile" used by his predecessors on his visit to Brazil this month and travel in an open-top jeep, the Vatican said on Wednesday.
Vatican spokesman Federico Lombardi also dismissed concerns ahead of the July 22-28 trip about the demonstrations that have recently been rocking Brazil.
"We are going to Brazil with confidence in the authorities` ability to manage the situation," he said at a briefing on the upcoming visit -- the pope`s first foreign trip since being elected in March.
"We know the demonstrations are not at all aimed at the pope or the Church," Lombardi said.
More than a million young people from 170 countries are expected for World Youth Day in Rio de Janeiro.
Brazil was shaken by a series of demonstrations in June, mainly over the cost of public transport, spending on 2014 World Cup and corruption.
"We are not currently expecting any inconveniences for World Youth Day. Everyone will understand the pope`s message is a message of solidarity," Lombardi said.
He also pointed out that the bullet-proof "popemobile" of years past will be left in the Vatican and Francis will instead use one of two open-top jeeps -- one white, one green -- that have already been shipped out to Rio.
"This is the pope`s choice, in continuity with what he is doing here. He feels better when there is contact" with the crowd, Lombardi said.
The spokesman also gave further details about the pope`s programme including a helicopter trip to the Marian sanctuary of Aparecida and his visit to the Varginha favela in Rio where he will visit a family.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!