Pope shores up papal household after leaks scandal
Vatican City: Pope Benedict XVI on Friday moved to shore up the papal household in the aftermath of the Vatican`s leaks scandal, naming his trusted secretary to also run the office that organizes his schedule.
German Monsignor Georg Gaenswein replaces American prelate James Harvey, who was recently made a cardinal, as papal household prefect. The prefect arranges the pope`s audiences and other events on his schedule and manages the papal household.
For nearly a decade Gaenswein, 56, was personal secretary to Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, the future Pope Benedict, at the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. He continued in that role after the German became pontiff in 2005. The Vatican said Gaenswein would likely remain on as papal secretary, adding the duties of the household prefect to his existing ones.
Harvey left the Apostolic Palace under somewhat difficult circumstances. As prefect, he had been the supervisor of Paolo Gabriele, the pope`s former butler, who was convicted in October in a Vatican court of stealing the pontiff`s personal papers and leaking them to a journalist a scandal that convulsed the Vatican all year.
In the trial`s aftermath, Harvey, 63, left the job promoted to a cardinal but also named to a job outside the Vatican as archpriest of one of the Vatican`s four basilicas in Rome.
Gaenswein initially confronted Gabriele in May when he noticed three letters that had been on his desk ended up in the book of leaked papal correspondence, "His Holiness: The secret papers of Pope Benedict XVI."
Gabriele initially denied he had taken them, but later admitted to Vatican investigators that he had leaked the documents because he felt the pope wasn`t being informed of the "evil and corruption" around him and exposing the problems publicly would put the church back on the right track.
While Gaenswein`s testimony was critical in convicting Gabriele, the former butler also made clear that he had photocopied the documents right under Gaenswein`s nose, since they shared an office next door to the pontiff`s studio.
Gabriele testified that he used the office photocopier just a few meters away from Gaenswein`s desk to copy the documents that he later handed to Gianluigi Nuzzi, the book`s author.
Gaenswein is often seen at the pope`s side when he is in public, riding along with him in the popemobile on foreign trips and the jeep that he uses to get around St. Peter`s Square for his general audiences.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!