Pope to visit migrant landing point in Italy
Vatican City: Pope Francis will visit Italy`s southernmost island of Lampedusa on July 8 and celebrate mass there with migrants, who arrive there from North Africa after a perilous sea voyage.
"The Pope has been profoundly saddened by the recent news of of shipwreck of a migrant boat from Africa, the latest in a series of similar tragedies," the Vatican said in a statement.
"He intends to pray for those who have lost their lives at sea and meet survivors and other refugees on Lampedusa," the statement said.
The pontiff will also "encourage" islanders and urge them to help "these brothers and sisters who are in dire need", the Vatican added.
During the visit, Francis will cast a wreath into the sea in a sign of respect for the thousand of migrants who have perished trying to reach Italy`s southern shores, Vatican spokesman Federico Lombardi said.
According Human Rights Watch, up to 13,500 migrants have died since 1998 while attempting to make the dangerous crossing to Europe, including at least 1,500 in 2011, the deadliest on record.
Lampedusa was inundated with around 30,000 people during the first three months of 2011 during the `Arab Spring` revolts in Tunisia, Egypt and Libya that overthrew longtime leaders in those countries.
The severe overcrowding in Lampedusa`s single detention centre, designed to hold 850 people, led to squalid migrant camps on the isand that drew international condemnation.
The warmer summer months see a surge in the number of boats attempting to reach southern Europe.
In June, at least 10 migrants drowned in the Strait of Sicily when their boat got into difficulty and a Tunisian fishing boat allegedly refused to rescue them.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India