Proposal to build mosque near Olympic Stadium rejected by London council
London: Proposals to build Britain’s biggest mosque near the Olympic Stadium has been refused amid fierce local opposition.
Planners rejected the ‘mega-mosque’ plans in West Ham, east London, which would have been three times the size of St Paul`s Cathedral with a capacity for almost 10,000 worshippers.
Newham councillors rejected the plans, from Muslim group Tablighi Jamaat, after planning officials recommending permission be refused, the Telegraph reports.
According to the report, As thousands waited outside the council offices for the result, official said that the mosque’s design was too large, would generate too much traffic and was poor in its planning and design.
The Abbey Mills Mosque, also known as the Riverine Centre, would have become the biggest Islamic centre in Britain and one of the largest in western Europe had it been given the green light, the report said.
Located in the shadow of the 2012 Olympic Park, in Stratford, it was to include a prayer hall for almost 7,500 men and a separate facility for about 2,000 women, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'