Protesters urge Argentina to cut ties with Britain
Buenos Aires: Protesters marched
on the British embassy, burning the Union Jack, and
demanding Argentina snap diplomatic ties with London in an
escalating row over the Falkland Islands.
British Prime Minister David Cameron has sparked fury
after he called Argentina`s attitude towards the South
Atlantic islands "colonialist."
"We repudiate the statements of Cameron and of sending
imperial troops to the Falklands," leftist leader Vilma Ripoll
said yesterday during the march.
"The government must move from words to deeds and break
off relations right now with British colonialism."
About 100 protesters from the Free of the South Movement,
led by former congressman and filmmaker Fernando "Pino"
Solanas, burned a British flag a few meters from the embassy
of Britain, which has claimed the Falklands since 1833.
"British out of the Falklands" and "The government should
break off relations now" were among the slogans written on the
Words of protest have also come from Argentina`s political
leaders after Cameron`s comment on Wednesday about the
Falklands to fellow lawmakers.
"The key point is we support the Falkland Islanders` right
to self-determination, and what the Argentinians have been
saying recently, I would argue is actually far more like
colonialism because these people want to remain British and
the Argentinians want them to do something else," Cameron told
The renewed tensions come months before the 30th
anniversary of the brief, but bloody war between the two
countries over the islands.
The 74-day war for control of the Falklands started on
April 2, 1982 and killed 649 Argentines and 255 British. It
also forced Argentina to withdraw from the islands in the
south Atlantic Ocean.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional