Queen Elizabeth II skips Commonwealth Day service
London: Britain`s Queen Elizabeth II was on Monday forced to cancel her appearance at the Commonwealth Day service at Westminster Abbey due to illness, Buckingham Palace announced.
The 86-year-old monarch`s withdrawal comes as she continues to recover from her recent illness, it said in a statement.
Last week she was admitted to hospital for the first time for 10 years with symptoms of gastroenteritis.
Her husband, the 91-year-old Prince Philip will attend the service as planned and the Queen will attend a reception later in the evening.
"The Queen hopes to undertake some of her official engagements planned for the rest of this week," the statement said.
The BBC reported that the Queen saw a doctor this morning and the decision was taken that it would be best if she did not sit through an hour-long Church service. Officials insist the Queen`s health problems are "nothing serious " and "nothing to fret about", BBC said.
Later on Monday at a reception at Marlborough House she is expected to sign a charter setting out the Commonwealth`s values and commitment to equal rights.
The Commonwealth, which accounts for 30 per cent of the world`s population, has for the first time drawn up a charter that details 16 core beliefs.
These include upholding democracy and opposing all forms of discrimination including against gay people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack