Queen Elizabeth II skips Commonwealth Day service
London: Britain`s Queen Elizabeth II was on Monday forced to cancel her appearance at the Commonwealth Day service at Westminster Abbey due to illness, Buckingham Palace announced.
The 86-year-old monarch`s withdrawal comes as she continues to recover from her recent illness, it said in a statement.
Last week she was admitted to hospital for the first time for 10 years with symptoms of gastroenteritis.
Her husband, the 91-year-old Prince Philip will attend the service as planned and the Queen will attend a reception later in the evening.
"The Queen hopes to undertake some of her official engagements planned for the rest of this week," the statement said.
The BBC reported that the Queen saw a doctor this morning and the decision was taken that it would be best if she did not sit through an hour-long Church service. Officials insist the Queen`s health problems are "nothing serious " and "nothing to fret about", BBC said.
Later on Monday at a reception at Marlborough House she is expected to sign a charter setting out the Commonwealth`s values and commitment to equal rights.
The Commonwealth, which accounts for 30 per cent of the world`s population, has for the first time drawn up a charter that details 16 core beliefs.
These include upholding democracy and opposing all forms of discrimination including against gay people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?