Raul Castro jokes about possible resignation
Havana: Cuban President Raul Castro, soon to be confirmed by parliament for a second five-year term, joked Friday about the possibility that he might resign because of being so advanced in years.
"I`m going to resign. I`m going to be 82 years old and I have the right to retire now," Gen. Castro laughed when asked by reporters about the opening of parliament Sunday.
Then in a more serious tone the president said that he will deliver an "interesting" speech.
Raul Castro is expected to be confirmed for a second five-year term, which will be his last if the Cuban president goes along with his own proposal to limit the country`s political positions, including the presidency, to 10 straight years.
Gen. Castro was formally named president in February 2008, two years after an illness forced his brother Fidel to delegate the position to him in 2006.
During his first term, Raul Castro promoted a plan of economic reforms in the Caribbean country to "modernize" its socialist model.
The Cuban president made his statement at a ceremony with Russian Prime Minister Dmitri Medvedev, whose visit to the island was marked by the signing of 10 accords to promote bilateral cooperation.
Besides holding talks with the Cuban president, the Russian premier met with Fidel Castro.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi