Rebekah Brooks re-arrested in UK hacking probe
London: In an early morning swoop, media baron Rupert Murdoch`s aide and the former editor of the News of the World, Rebekah Brooks, and her husband were arrested on Tuesday along with four others in connection with the widening probe into the phone hacking scandal here.
43-year-old Brooks and her millionaire racehorse trainer husband, Charlie, were arrested at their home in Chipping Norton in a series of dawn raids by Metropolitan Police officers.
A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said: "Police have today arrested six people at addresses in London, Oxfordshire, Hampshire and Hertfordshire.
"The co-ordinated arrests were made between 5am and 7am this morning by officers from Operation Weeting, the MPS inquiry into the phone-hacking of voicemail boxes.
"All six - five men and one woman - were arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice".
He said a number of addresses connected to the arrests are being searched.
Officers are searching several addresses after dawn raids in London, Oxfordshire, Hampshire and Hertfordshire, Scotland Yard said.
It is the biggest individual round of arrests under Operation Weeting.
Previously 23 people have been held and released on bail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok