Rebekah Brooks re-arrested in UK hacking probe
London: In an early morning swoop, media baron Rupert Murdoch`s aide and the former editor of the News of the World, Rebekah Brooks, and her husband were arrested on Tuesday along with four others in connection with the widening probe into the phone hacking scandal here.
43-year-old Brooks and her millionaire racehorse trainer husband, Charlie, were arrested at their home in Chipping Norton in a series of dawn raids by Metropolitan Police officers.
A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said: "Police have today arrested six people at addresses in London, Oxfordshire, Hampshire and Hertfordshire.
"The co-ordinated arrests were made between 5am and 7am this morning by officers from Operation Weeting, the MPS inquiry into the phone-hacking of voicemail boxes.
"All six - five men and one woman - were arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice".
He said a number of addresses connected to the arrests are being searched.
Officers are searching several addresses after dawn raids in London, Oxfordshire, Hampshire and Hertfordshire, Scotland Yard said.
It is the biggest individual round of arrests under Operation Weeting.
Previously 23 people have been held and released on bail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Italy mourns quake victims, death toll rises to 291
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport