Rebekah Brooks re-arrested in UK hacking probe
London: In an early morning swoop, media baron Rupert Murdoch`s aide and the former editor of the News of the World, Rebekah Brooks, and her husband were arrested on Tuesday along with four others in connection with the widening probe into the phone hacking scandal here.
43-year-old Brooks and her millionaire racehorse trainer husband, Charlie, were arrested at their home in Chipping Norton in a series of dawn raids by Metropolitan Police officers.
A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said: "Police have today arrested six people at addresses in London, Oxfordshire, Hampshire and Hertfordshire.
"The co-ordinated arrests were made between 5am and 7am this morning by officers from Operation Weeting, the MPS inquiry into the phone-hacking of voicemail boxes.
"All six - five men and one woman - were arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice".
He said a number of addresses connected to the arrests are being searched.
Officers are searching several addresses after dawn raids in London, Oxfordshire, Hampshire and Hertfordshire, Scotland Yard said.
It is the biggest individual round of arrests under Operation Weeting.
Previously 23 people have been held and released on bail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics?
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part II
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part III
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part IV
- Why is Mehbooba Mufti attacking Hindu beliefs for votes?
- Bid rivals set to join forces for Tata Steel UK buyout: Report
- PM Narendra Modi calls for country to move towards cashless society
- Coach appointment will take another couple of months: Sourav Ganguly
- Virat Kolhi's purple patch can only benefit Indian cricket: Ravi Shastri
- David Cameron warns Brexit would drive up food prices in UK