Red Cross meets Syrian Opposition in Geneva
Geneva: The International Committee of the
Red Cross on Wednesday said that it was holding a meeting with
Syria`s main opposition group in Geneva, a day after the
humanitarian agency called for temporary pauses in the
fighting so that it can bring in emergency aid and evacuate
the wounded and sick from affected areas.
Russia, which has opposed harsher international measures
to end Syrian President Bashar Assad`s crackdown on
anti-government protests, voiced support today for a daily
two-hour humanitarian cease-fire in Syria.
Red Cross spokesman Hisham Hassan said the meeting with
members of the Syrian National Council was part of the aid
group`s efforts to "be in touch with all those who might have
an impact in Syria."
The Red Cross says negotiations with Syrian authorities
and opposition groups are at a very early stage. Its head of
operations for the Middle East, Beatrice Megevand-Roggo, said
Tuesday that the ICRC had almost no contacts with opposition
figures inside Syria.
"Therefore we have to look for contacts outside Syria,
and that takes time," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!