Remove two-child policy for Muslims: US to Myanmar
Washington: Expressing deep concerns, the US has appealed to Myanmar to immediately shun its plan of a two-child policy for Rohingya Muslims.
"We are deeply concerned over reports that local officials in Myanmar`s Rakhine state plan to enforce a two-child limit for Rohingya Muslims," State Department spokesperson Jen Psaki said, asserting that Washington will oppose any such "coercive and discriminatory birth limitation policy".
"We have pressed senior Myanmar government officials to abolish this local order. We urge the government to eliminate all such policies without delay," Psaki said.
Meanwhile, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has welcomed the agreement reached between the government and the Kachin Independence Organisation after their first meeting in Myanmar since the conflict broke out in June 2011.
UN Special Adviser on Myanmar Vijay Nambiar was present as observer at the talks on behalf of the United Nations, accompanied by representatives from the Chinese embassy and Myanmar`s ethnic nationality groups.
"The Secretary-General notes the seven-point agreement as a significant achievement that could lay the basis for a genuine process of national reconciliation in the country," a UN statement said.
"He commends the leaders of both delegations for their courage and perseverance, and hopes this agreement will allow the two parties to address the concerns and needs of the people of Kachin state," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof