Remove two-child policy for Muslims: US to Myanmar
Washington: Expressing deep concerns, the US has appealed to Myanmar to immediately shun its plan of a two-child policy for Rohingya Muslims.
"We are deeply concerned over reports that local officials in Myanmar`s Rakhine state plan to enforce a two-child limit for Rohingya Muslims," State Department spokesperson Jen Psaki said, asserting that Washington will oppose any such "coercive and discriminatory birth limitation policy".
"We have pressed senior Myanmar government officials to abolish this local order. We urge the government to eliminate all such policies without delay," Psaki said.
Meanwhile, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has welcomed the agreement reached between the government and the Kachin Independence Organisation after their first meeting in Myanmar since the conflict broke out in June 2011.
UN Special Adviser on Myanmar Vijay Nambiar was present as observer at the talks on behalf of the United Nations, accompanied by representatives from the Chinese embassy and Myanmar`s ethnic nationality groups.
"The Secretary-General notes the seven-point agreement as a significant achievement that could lay the basis for a genuine process of national reconciliation in the country," a UN statement said.
"He commends the leaders of both delegations for their courage and perseverance, and hopes this agreement will allow the two parties to address the concerns and needs of the people of Kachin state," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill