Remove two-child policy for Muslims: US to Myanmar
Washington: Expressing deep concerns, the US has appealed to Myanmar to immediately shun its plan of a two-child policy for Rohingya Muslims.
"We are deeply concerned over reports that local officials in Myanmar`s Rakhine state plan to enforce a two-child limit for Rohingya Muslims," State Department spokesperson Jen Psaki said, asserting that Washington will oppose any such "coercive and discriminatory birth limitation policy".
"We have pressed senior Myanmar government officials to abolish this local order. We urge the government to eliminate all such policies without delay," Psaki said.
Meanwhile, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has welcomed the agreement reached between the government and the Kachin Independence Organisation after their first meeting in Myanmar since the conflict broke out in June 2011.
UN Special Adviser on Myanmar Vijay Nambiar was present as observer at the talks on behalf of the United Nations, accompanied by representatives from the Chinese embassy and Myanmar`s ethnic nationality groups.
"The Secretary-General notes the seven-point agreement as a significant achievement that could lay the basis for a genuine process of national reconciliation in the country," a UN statement said.
"He commends the leaders of both delegations for their courage and perseverance, and hopes this agreement will allow the two parties to address the concerns and needs of the people of Kachin state," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch