`Review the command and control protocols of NATO`
Washington: A US lawmaker has asked the
Defence Secretary to the review the command and control
protocols of NATO as an air attack by the alliance forces left
24 Pakistani soldiers dead last weekend and resulted in an
outrage in Pakistan.
In a letter to US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta, which
was released to the press, Dennis Kucinich called for a strong
support for "full and transparent investigation" of the attack
on sovereign Pakistani territory and demanded a full review of
"command and control protocols" which led to the disaster.
"We cannot be successful in securing peace and security
in the region alone. I urge you to ensure full US
participation in and cooperation with a full, impartial and
transparent investigation into the airstrike.
"It is critical that those in the NATO and the
International Security Assistance Force (IASF) be held
accountable for any actions that may have resulted in the
death of 24 innocent Pakistani soldiers," Kucinich said.
The response of the US to this attack, he said, will be
critical to maintaining America`s vital relationship with
Pakistan and to the security of its troops in Afghanistan.
"As you know, Saturday`s airstrike that resulted in the
death of 24 innocent Pakistani soldiers has further strained
the US-Pakistan relationship and increased anti-US sentiment
abroad," he said.
"Reports indicate that US-led coalition forces operating
in Afghanistan are bracing themselves for reprisal attacks.
The Pakistani government has now withdrawn from participation
in the upcoming US-led Bonn Conference on the future of
Afghanistan and has closed vital supply lines to our troops
operating in the country," the Congressman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray