Rohingya Muslims forced to identify themselves as `Bengalis`
Washington: The Rohingya community in Myanmar, who are being held in squalid camps and even beaten up, have been told that there is only one way out - by identifying themselves as Bengalis.
Zia Ul Haq, along with nine other Rohingya Muslims, was handcuffed and dragged to the nearby railway tracks, and then beaten up by the police at 3 am and was apparently threatened to identify themselves as Bengalis - a term suggesting they are illegal immigrants from Bangladesh.
However, doing so would be to deny what Zia Ul Haq and hundreds of thousands of other Muslims in western Myanmar`s Rakhine State consider to be their ethnic identity, reports the Christian Science Monitor.
The United Nations says close to 140,000 Rohingya remain displaced after clashes with the ethnic Rakhine Buddhist population drove them from their homes last year. The government has elected to keep them living in apartheid-like conditions, segregated from the Rakhines, in camps they are not allowed to leave for their own security.
The government`s plan for eventual resettlement requires a registration process under which Rohingya are designated as "Bengali”. But many Rohingya are refusing to be registered even if it means they might be resettled from the squalid temporary camps where they now live.
Most Rohingya, even those whose families have been in Myanmar - also known as Burma - for generations, are denied citizenship under a 1982 law that renders them stateless. Human Rights Watch accused security forces of failing to prevent atrocities against Rohingya during clashes last year with the state`s ethnic Rakhine Buddhist population.
Violence last June and October left at least 192 people dead. Sittwe`s former population of about 73,000 Rohingya has now dwindled to 5,000 people confined in one neighbourhood, guarded by security forces. The vast majority of displaced Rohingya are still living in temporary camps.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27