Russia, Japan condemn North Korea over N-programme
Moscow: Russia and Japan on Monday condemned North Korea for its refusal to give up its nuclear weapons programme.
In a joint statement, the two countries said North Korea has stubbornly refused to give up plans to create nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles "contrary to the international community`s calls", Xinhua reported.
In a declaration, adopted following talks between Russian President Vladimir Putin and visiting Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, both leaders called for Pyongyang`s strict adherence to the UN Security Council Resolution 2094 and UNSC resolutions of the fourth round of the six-party talks of Sep 19, 2005.
Tensions have risen on the Korean Peninsula since December, when North Korea tested a long-range Taepodong 2 missile, and in February carried out its third nuclear test, following tests in 2006 and 2009.
The UN responded with sanctions. The start of joint military exercises between South Korea and the US last month further irritated the North, which threatened to carry out a nuclear attack on the US mainland, as well as on US forces in the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read